Leaving Cert Geography: An Overview

Geography is a diverse subject that covers a range of topics from physical and regional geography to patterns and processes in economic activities and human environment. Like with biology, you will have to memorise concepts and there’s no way around that. The good news is that it is one of the easier subjects on the Leaving Cert.

The Geography exam is on the morning of the first Friday of the Leaving Cert Exam period.

The exam itself is worth 80% of your mark and the field study is worth the remaining 20% of your mark. The fieldwork is done as a class activity beforehand.

What’s on the exam?

In Higher Level Geography, there are two parts to the exam. Part one is worth 80 marks and part two is worth 320 marks. In Ordinary Level Geography, part one is worth 100 marks and part two is worth 300 marks.

In this particular exam, you are given a choice as to what questions to answer.

In part one, you pick any 10 questions to answer and all of them are worth an equal amount of points.

Part two has three sections in Higher Level and two sections in Ordinary Level.

Section one is the core section and you must answer one question from each set of three questions.

Section two is the elective section and you must answer one question from that section.

Section three is the called Options and Higher Level Geography students must answer one question from that section. In Higher Level, each question is worth 80 marks and in Ordinary Level, each question is worth 100 marks.

Tips for Success:

  • As with biology, study everything, look over your notes, and look at past exam papers because a lot of the questions have a similar format. Know the main points.
  • Answer every question. Do your best, but manage your time. It’s not worth spending an extra 20 minutes on a question for those last few points when you could answer more questions and get more points.
  • Outline your answers for the long questions to stay organised.

 

Good luck!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close